In this episode, we have guest, Pam Tarlow, PharmD who has been a practicing pharmacist since graduating from the School of Pharmacy at University of Southern California (USC) in 1981. Her practice has evolved over the years to include working closely with providers and patients on the safe, appropriate, and effective use of pharmaceuticals, botanicals, homeopathic, nutritional agents and therapeutic essential oils. She currently practices clinical integrative pharmacy at a unique independent pharmacy and as part of the team at an Integrative Medical Health Group. She is a lecturer and innovative experiential educator for many pharmacy schools, medical residents, and doctorate acupuncture programs. She is the Director of the inaugural PGY1 Integrative Health Pharmacy Residency. Pam is a faculty member and co-chair in Healthy Aging and Integrative Medicine at Yo San University Doctorate in Acupuncture and Oriental Medicine Program. She is also an author of pharmacist (CE) programs exploring bioactive nutrients and
two CE programs on homeopathic medicines and involved in numerous pharmacy professional associations.
In this episode, we cover the following questions:
1. Your career evolution as an integrative pharmacist as the field expands
2. Main areas of integrative pharmacy specialty and interest: regulation, hormone balance, bioactive compounds, mood support, therapeutic essential oils, and skillful communication
3. Framework and importance of performing drug/herb/nutrient/condition interactions checks.
4. Value of mentoring (as a mentor and as a mentee)
5. Staying motivated, current, authentic and helpful (including meditation)
6. What does integrative medicine mean to you?
7. What is some final advice that you would tell pharmacists about why and how to stay up to date or get into this area of practice?
Interview with Pam Tarlow, Pharm.D.
Integrative Health Pharmacy Residency
Santa Monica Homeopathic Pharmacy
Guest – Pam Tarlow, Pharm.D.
Host – Hillary Blackburn, PharmD