In this episode, Dr. Christina Madison, PharmD, FCCP, AAHIVP joins us to cover some topics as public health is top of mind right now in midst of the coronavirus pandemic.
Some topics covered –
– How did you develop an interest in public health?
– What do you see as pharmacists’ role?
– The importance of accurate information
– Possible Treatments
– Convalescent plasma – recovered from patients virus and using for treatment and protection has been used for novel viruses where there was no immunity to it. Using convalescent plasma is best option in lieu of effective treatment or vaccine where patient develops antibodies themselves.
– Remdesivir – compassionate use. Started use for SARS but ended in Phase 3 trials because no other patients
Using some older drugs
– Hydroxychloroquine – Trying to limit the use of drug for COVID-19 patients only
– Kaletra – older
Pharmacy practice is changing with more telehealth and telepharmacy.
Guest: Dr. Christina Madison, PharmD, FCCP, AAHIVP
Website: ThePublicHealthPharmacist.com Social Media: @ThePublicHealthPharmacist (Facebook/Instagram) @PublicHealthRx (Twitter) LinkedIn: https://www.linkedin.com/in/drchristinamadisonthepublichealthpharmacist
Host – Hillary Blackburn, PharmD, MBA
@talktoyourpharmacist for Instagram and Facebook