In this episode, our guest is Dr. Patrick Carroll, a member of the Hims & Hers board and is Chief Medical Officer. Dr. Carroll oversees all matters pertaining to provision of care, clinical outcomes, patient safety, healthcare information systems and strategic initiatives and programs to enhance the Hims & Hers care model. In addition, Dr. Carroll is instrumental in managing relationships with health systems and collaborating with the executive team in the development of new clinical programs.
Prior to joining Hims & Hers in June of 2019 Dr. Carroll was the Group Vice President and Chief Medical Officer of Walgreens. Over his 5 year tenure he oversaw retail clinics, healthcare strategy, health system collaborations, quality programs as well as the development of the Walgreens Neighborhood Health Destination initiative. Prior to joining Walgreen’s in May 2014, Dr. Carroll served as the Chief Medical Officer of Integrated Care Partners, Hartford HealthCare’s clinical integration organization. He was also the Medical Director for Hartford HealthCare’s Medicare Shared Savings Program which currently has over 20,000 patients in a Medicare/CMS shared-risk pilot program. He played a key role in leading the Hartford HealthCare’s efforts in the transition to value-based care in a time of a rapidly changing healthcare landscape.
From 2010–2012, Dr. Carroll served as the Chief Medical Officer for the Granite Medical Group in Quincy, Massachusetts. Granite Medical Group is a 40-provider Multi-specialty/Primary Care Group which is part of Atrius Health, a 1000 Medical Provider Group. Dr. Carroll received his bachelor’s degree from the College of the Holy Cross and his medical degree from Dartmouth Medical School. He completed his residency training at Middlesex Hospital in family practice, where he served as Chief Resident.
Dr. Carroll is Board Certified in Family Practice and in Adolescent Medicine.
Topics to discuss —
- Career Background: Dr. Carroll’s experience at Walgreens and his journey to being Chief Medical Officer of Hims & Hers. Additionally, he can share insights from his decades of experience in private practice and how that showed him many of the challenges of the traditional system.
Overview of Hims & Hers + growth of telemedicine:
- Providing a high-level description of Hims & Hers, plus the company’s mission and vision to reshape the healthcare system and expand access to high-quality care. Additionally, he can share a brief description of how consumers access care through the Hims & Hers platform.
- Discussing Hims & Hers’ journey as a company, including its recent growth — especially since the pandemic — and expansion from ED and hair loss, to primary care, mental health, dermatology and other services.
- Discussing how the pandemic accelerated telehealth adoption more broadly and why both asynchronous and synchronous telehealth modalities can provide people with a safe, trusted and a convenient way to get care.
How Hims & Hers builds trust and ensures patient safety
- Sharing some high-level points about Hims & Hers’ homegrown EHR and how the company ensures care quality.
The future of medicine + Hims & Hers’ focus on personalized treatments
- Discussing Pat’s view on why the healthcare system is at a critical inflection point where patients are looking for new front doors to care for a wide variety of conditions.
- Discussing, at a high level, how Hims & Hers is focusing on personalized healthcare treatments.
How telehealth companies like Hims & Hers can integrate with the traditional healthcare system — and why that’s great for patient experience, continuity of care and ultimately better outcomes.
- Dr. Carroll can share how providers on the Hims & Hers platform can support a wide variety of conditions, but when care is needed that is not supported, Hims & Hers has partnerships with many well-known, high-quality health systems (e.g. Privia, Ochsner, ChristianaCare, Carbon Health, etc.)
Guest – Dr. Patrick Carroll is a member of the Hims & Hers board and is Chief Medical Officer
Host – Hillary Blackburn, PharmD, MBA
- @talktoyourpharmacist for Instagram and Facebook